On Sun, 2008-07-06 at 13:44 -0700, Rob Hudson wrote:
> So if I understand correctly, you are saying make author a
> not-required field so is_valid() will validate to True.  Then in my
> view do the commit=False on save, check if author is present and if
> not, set the default author, then call save().  Something like that?

That's probably slight overkill, in that you don't need to go as far as
getting back to the view and calling save(commit=False).

You got the cleaning process exactly right the first time. Looks like
the only thing that is going "wrong" (it's going right, actually --
doing exactly what you specified) is that the author field is required
by the model and hence by the ModelForm. Since the field's validation
includes checking "required-ness" and, if that fails, clean_*() isn't
called, you're seeing the problem.

You can set

        self.field["author"].required = False

in your form's __init__ method to avoid this.

Regards,
Malcolm