So you want it to interact with the db that app A would normally interact
with (not just copy your schema / methods)?

I don't really know how you can do that :(

I have managed to interact with my db, via my django models in an app
installed in project 'my_proj', from an external script using:

from django.core.management import setup_environ
import my_proj.settings
setup_environ(my_proj.settings)

But I don't know who you could go about this without effecting your existing
django environment :(

Unless of course you use an external script to do your interacting with app
A, and have some kind of interface into it?

Not really sure I can be of much help...