I've considered a custom field. I just don't think I know Django well
enough yet to pull it off quickly. I'm still learning the basics and
this advanced usage of it is  a little beyond my understanding at the
moment. I could probably figure it out, but I don't know how long that
would take and I've actually started to make decent overall progress.
I'd hate to slam the brakes on just now and work on plumbing.

I might be able to use a custom file uploader that I would instantiate
inside my view method and populate with the values I need from the
other objects in the document's relationship hierarchy. I think that
would take less time than implementing a custom model field.

Thanks!

Jon Brisibn
http://jbrisbin.com