On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 14:57 -0700, Tim wrote:
> I would like some finer control over the display of a
> MultipleChoiceField, but I'm not sure how to get to the individual
> components (in my case, checkboxes). For example, if I define the
> field in the form like so:
>
> tags =
> forms.MultipleChoiceField(widget=forms.CheckboxSelectMultiple,
> choices=tag_list,)
>
> then I would like to be able to control the resulting HTML of the
> individual checkboxes, and not just the checkboxes with label wrappers
> as a whole (via as_p or as_table or whatever) - I thought it might be
> possible to access by name or id (since forms has access to this
> information during rendering), but that doesn't seem to be the case.

A bunch of the output you're wanting to control is generated by the
widget class. Since all the code is set up in a fairly self-contained
object-based manner, customising this is mostly a matter of subclassing
the right widget classes and passing in your custom widget to the form
field class. Have a look at the existing source in
django.newforms.widgets and django.newforms.fields to see how it's done.

Regards,
Malcolm