I recently had to do something similar.  The way I went about it (and
I'm not sure this is the best way) is to select all of the categories,
then iterate through them and build a tree, using each category's
parent_id to figure out where in the tree it fits.

Then, once you've got a tree, you have to recurse through all of the
nodes (categories).  You can do this in your template, if you find a
good "recurse" template tag (I saw a few on djangosnippets a while
ago).

Or you can do what I did, and recurse through the tree beforehand,
building a flattened list of all the nodes, making sure to save what
"level" each particular node is at.  You can then output that in a
template, using the level to set each li's class.

Let me know if you need more help--I can send some code if you want,
though I can't promise it's very good :-)

-Jeff