We have been optimizing our server (db and caching) since our recent
launch and one thing we've been looking at is our server status:

Total queries: 4,307,827
Com_admin_commands: 3,754,356
Com_insert: 37,790
Com_select: 1,354,134
Com_set_option: 172,319
Com_update: 52,759
Com_commit: 88,107

(this is approx over 10 hours uptime, 10K visitors/day).

Running Django trunk, mysql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.32, python 2.5,
Debian.

The com_admin_commands seems extremely high. I have tested on another
machine with similar setup and can confirm that almost every SELECT
run through the Django ORM (and possibly INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE) is
running a com_admin_command. Running queries separately on MySQL or
through connection.cursor() do not cause this.

For example:
from django.contrib.auth.models import User
u = User.objects.get(pk=1)

will cause an increase in com_admin_commands but not

from django.db import connection
c=connection.cursor()
c.execute("select * from auth_user")

I have 3 questions:
1) Have other django/mysql developers encountered this?
2) Have they encountered perfomance issues as a result ?
3) Which command (if any) is being fired to cause an increase in
com_admin_commands ?