You could use "user profiles" which will allow you to store various user
specific preferences. See [1] to learn how to do this.

I am currently using profiles to identify users by the department they work
in and the last time they edited a form (this is different from last login).

Best,

[1] -
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/authentication/#storing-additional-information-about-users