Hey all,

In order to deploy multiple django based websites I've created a set
of scripts which build the setup.py and debian directory for deb based
deployment of django websites. At the moment it handles apache
configuration, mysql database creation (with random passwords) and
setting up the settings.template file.

I'm putting it up for others in case your interested in something
similar. I haven't intended it as a serious project that everyone will
use or anything so you may find there are some assumptions that it
makes about the structures of a website project which don't apply.

Code in a bzr branch here: https://code.launchpad.net/django-deployer

To install you can either use the setup.py (create an rmp or whatever)
or build the deb, you'll need moxml (https://code.launchpad.net/
~doctormo/python-moxml/trunk) which just saves all the settings in
xml.

To use go into your django project directory (the parent to your site
directory)

django-build.py --build-settings
*Follow instructions*
django-build.py
debuild (to make the deb)

If you want to make an rpm version, you need to run setup.py rpm
builder with --post-install=debian/postinst to include the post
install script.

Let me know if anyone finds it useful.

Best Regards, Martin Owens