> monkey patching = alter django code?

Not exactly. You should not modifying the django code, but alter the
code dynamically.
For instance, when I needed to add to model User an additional
"Customer" field, I have made it as:

# Monkey-patching User model
User.add_to_class('customer', models.ForeignKey(Customer, null=True,
blank=True))
User._meta.admin.fields += (
            ('Extensions', {'fields': ('customer',)}),
        )
User._meta.admin.list_display += ('last_login', 'customer')

Afraid, this code should be now updated in case of using newforms-admin.

Have a nice day,
   Nikolay.