Using Django svn r8463 I have the following model:

class Image(models.Model):
    description = models.CharField(max_length=100)
    image = models.ImageField(upload_to='images')

...and view:

def upload_image(request):

    upFile = request.FILES['file']

    newImage = Image()
    newImage.image.save(upFile.name, upFile, save=True)

    return HttpResponse("OK: %s}" %newImage.image.url, mimetype='text/
html')

The 'upload_image' view is run by an AJAX call (no HTML form).

The Django documentation at:
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/model-api/#imagefield
states that 'ImageField' field type is "Like FileField, but validates
that the uploaded object is a valid image". However when using the
above code it allows me to upload any file type I like (not just
images) without any exceptions being raised. What am I missing?

Is this a consequence of http://code.djangoproject.com/changeset/8348
or should I be doing something else to enable this validation? (I have
PIL installed). Would it be preferable to use a Django form for the
image upload & would it make any difference?

Thanks,
Michael