I find the unit test and python shell to work very well for debugging.
If you have never used unit testing... learn it and love it, and love
how well it is built into django.
I will usually write a unit test right after I have finished
programming something, and then work with the test, using the errors
to find syntax errors. If I get failures in the unit test I will use
either print statements in the codes or tests, or go into the python
shell and type in the parts of my tests and code line by line.

It works pretty well for me. Takes a little bit more time, but gives
me the best flexibility.