On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 23:29 -0700, Jose Jiménez wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i'm using the stable version (0.96.2) of Django.
> When newforms library try to returns a field's validation error, if
> his translation contains any accent, it returns me an
> UnicodeDecodeError. If i deactivate i18n in settings.py all runs
> correctly (showing the messages in english).
> The error occurs in line 387 of fields.py:
>
> raise ValidationError(gettext(u'Select a valid choice. %s is not one
> of the available choices.') % val)

Django 0.96.2 has a lot of problems with non-ASCII support. In this
case, the problem is that gettext() returns an bytestring which contains
non-ASCII data and things go wrong.

The solution is "don't do that" for that release. We've put a lot of
effort into making non-ASCII support work transparently, out of the box,
since the 0.96 release, so in 1.0 this will work without problems.

Regards,
Malcolm