Tim Chase <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-08-25 08:43]:

>> It's not terribly obvious from the scribd layout, but at the
>> top (above the document) there's a "download" link or similar,
>> and there you can download the original PDF.
>
>...which expects that I create login...

Copy & paste doesn't work. Trying to email it to myself results in
nothing happening.

>Given that the source is likely just a PDF, posting a link to it
>somewhere is a lot less painful than using Scribd.  It's like
>they (Scribd) asked the question "how can we best come between
>site-visitors and the content our users want visitors to view?"
>resulting in this solution.  It's not like they're charging for
>the content (AFAIK) so forcing me to create a login fails to net
>them anything but useless marketing data, a plonk in my
>cookie-jar, and a seething user that will now decry them at any
>convenient opportunity.

Exactly my thoughts. This company has a solution to a non-existent
problem.

>From the FAQ:

My account has been suspended/terminated for abuse! Will I get access to my
documents?

All documents belonging to users that we have terminated for abuse
are deleted at the point of termination. Scribd will not provide
backups or access to these deleted documents.

How does Scribd define "abuse?"

Abuse is any activity that detracts from Scribd, or Scribd's
community.

IOW, your documents may vanish at the whim of Scribd, and they
cannot be recovered.

-rex