I checked out the latest django from SVN some 14 weeks ago and built a
site with it. It rocks. :-). Yesterday, I decided to port my code to
the latest to take advantage of the newforms-admin. I had to update my
Photologue app also. A lot of stuff has changed! I am not quite there
yet, but I can finally get my admin page to come up, but django is now
saying my user doesn't have permission to edit anything. I am aware of
the backwards incompatible change list on the wiki, but to be honest,
a lot of it is over my head as a newbie. I don't speak django-
developer (yet). Nothing jumped out at me regarding authorization
changes. So my current theory is that there must be some auth database
table changes. I am thinking that I should save off all my site
database data, then drop all my tables and syncdb again. Or perhaps
point my site to a blank database and syncdb. Then use mysqldiff to
compare old and new databases and see what changed. I can possibly re-
import my data by re-running the old SQL, although I may need to
rename fields and do other fiddling, etc.

I was able to save my Photologue data by saving it with phpMyAdmin,
dropping the tables, syncdb, then studying the new structures. I could
then re-run my saved SQL to get my data back, but I did have to make a
few tweaks. In one case, I had to add back 2 columns to a table, re-
import, then dropped those 2 columns to avoid fiddling with the saved
SQL.

What strategies do people use to keep up with the moving target that
is django? Are there easier ways than what I am doing?

Updating more often than once every 14 weeks is a good idea. :-)