OK, this is interesting: I didn't mention that I also has
limit_choices_to set on the self-referential foreign key. When I
remove limit_choices_to the problem goes away! My model is listed
below. I had set limit_choices_to=PARENT_CHOICES on OrgUnit.parent.

[start code]
LIBRARY_ID = 1
SAP_ORG_UNITS = (string, string, ...)

class OrgUnit(models.Model):

    DEFAULT_HEAD_TITLE = 'Head' # Default value for OrgUnit head_title
property
    # Library `departments' are children of `administrative units',
which are
    # children of the top-level org unit.
    PARENT_CHOICES = models.Q(is_admin_unit=True) |
models.Q(id=LIBRARY_ID)
    SAPORGUNIT_CHOICES = ((s, s) for s in SAP_ORG_UNITS)

    name             = models.CharField(max_length=255, unique=True)
    description      = models.CharField(max_length=255, blank=True,
null=True)
    sap_org_unit     = models.CharField(max_length=20, blank=True,
null=True,
                                        choices=SAPORGUNIT_CHOICES)
    parent           = models.ForeignKey('self', null=True,
blank=True,
                                         related_name='children')
    head             = models.ForeignKey(Person, blank=True,
null=True,
                                         related_name='head_of')
    head_title       = models.CharField(max_length=255,
default=DEFAULT_HEAD_TITLE, blank=True)
    members          = models.ManyToManyField(Person, null=True,
blank=True,

related_name='member_of')
    is_admin_unit    = models.BooleanField(default=False, null=True,
editable=False)
    # Contact Info
    campus_box       = models.CharField(max_length=255, blank=True,
null=True)
    physical_address = models.CharField(max_length=255, blank=True,
null=True)
    email            = models.EmailField(blank=True, null=True)
    fax              = models.CharField(max_length=40, blank=True,
null=True)
    phone            = models.CharField(max_length=40, blank=True,
null=True)
    phone2           = models.CharField(max_length=40, blank=True,
null=True)
    url              = models.URLField(blank=True, null=True)
[end code]

Hope that help ...

Thanks,
David