After many frustrating hours, I have yet to monkey patch the
form.username variable from:
<input id="id_username" type="text" name="username" maxlength="30" />
<input id="id_username" type="text" name="username" maxlength="75" />

In my urls.py file, I added:
from django.contrib.auth.forms import AuthenticationForm
AuthenticationForm.base_fields['username'].max_length = 75
AuthenticationForm.base_fields['username'].label = "Email"

This is suggested by Julien in his post:
http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers/msg/3420dc565df39fb1

I found that {{ form.username.label_tag }} will print "Email" as
expected, but {{ form.username }} still prints a max_length of 30.

I tested using:
assert False, dir(AuthenticationForm.base_fields['username'])
and indeed the max_length field is 75 (and before my code, it's 30 as
expected)

Why won't the maxlength html field change to 75? This perplexes me.

This is using django 1.0 beta 1, but I've also tried with django 1.0
beta 2 and django svn trunk.

Please advise.