I know this might sound very newbie .. its true

How can i assign an exising record of the child table to an parent record.
For example I have two models,

    class User (models.Model):
         ... all other fields ...
        Tags  = models.ManyToManyField(Tag)

     class Tag (models.Mode):
         .. all fields ..

The problem i am facing is whenever i create a new user and add an existing
tag object to User.Tags.add() method it creates a new record in Tag table
instead i need to just map the record with the new user.

I know am missing a paramount thing .. what is that ?