Well, as it turns out, my URLConf looked something like:

urlpatterns = patterns('devsite.djpages.views',
    (r'(?P<pagename>\w+)/$', 'display_page', 'dj_pages_display'),
    (r'$', 'display_page', 'dj_pages_default'),
)

The default value for the second one was processed by putting
"pagename=GET_DEFAULT_FROM_SETTINGS" or something like that in the
def() statement for the view. But Python expected the name of the
URLConf to be the 4th argument, but in mine it was the 3rd, which it
would normally interpret as a dictionary. Obviously, strings are not
dictionaries. After I changed the 2nd view to handle the default page
from the URLConf and added a dummy variable "spam" with the value
"eggs" for the both of them just so the first definition would have a
dictionary is argument 3, everything works now. Now all I have to do
is write the code that makes the application actually do something.

Regards,
Leaf