> When i use wrong dates in a query and execute that directly on the
> database,
> then i get the same error message.
> Judging from the error message, it seems as if the date is in a different
> format than expected by the database.

The expected date format is a per-connection level setting. (Called
"DATESTYLE" in postgresql).  There is also a default format if the
connection doesn't specify.

I strongly suspect that this mismatch between formats is actually happening
between the database and the python postgresql driver, and does not involve
django.

You should be able to test this my executing a "SHOW DATESTYLE" using
django's db connection, and also in the working client, and comparing.
 Another third thing is to open a python shell, create a connection, and
execute the sql there and see if that works.

I don't have a postgres database currently so I can't be certain about this,
but that's where I would start investigating.