On Sep 5, 12:28 pm, Malcolm Tredinnick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 07:09 +0530, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > anyway, putting settings.py under version control is tantamount to
> > suicide,
>
> I'm sorry, but this is just very bad advice. It's very standard practice
> to version control as much as possible in many organisations. It helps
> with audits as to what was rolled out when and ensures the right
> settings are matched to the right code.
>
> Regards,
> Malcolm

The way I've always handled this (and this is totally language
independent--I use it in PHP a lot [ugh])--is to make use of
subversion's "svn:ignore" property.

First, edit the property of the directory where your settings.py file
lives:
svn propedit svn:ignore my_project
In there, add a line with just:
settings.py
and save it.

Then, copy your settings file to something like
"settings.py.template", and svn add it.  In that file, put some sane/
useful defaults, then commit.   Now, anytime you check out a new copy,
settings.py.template will get pulled in, but settings.py won't, so
just copy settings.py.template to settings.py, and make any local
changes.  Since the svn:ignore property is set, your settings.py file
will never get overwritten (by subversion, at least).

As long as you're careful to put any new settings in the template
file, this is a great way of keeping track of your settings, without
having to worry about overwriting your production environment's
settings (something none of us have ever done, right?)

-Jeff