On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 3:06 AM, Benedict Verheyen <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> James Bennett wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 4:15 AM, Benedict Verheyen
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> i tried to do a django-admin startproject <project> and it
> >> said that startproject wasn't a valid command.
> >> Weird. django-admin help indeed didn't show the startproject command.
> >
> > This is currently intended behavior and I believe it's now documented
> > as well; the "startproject" command is disabled when django-admin.py
> > detects that you already have and are working with an existing
> > project, because "startproject" doesn't really make sense in those
> > cases. Generally speaking, if you've set DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE or
> > pass the "--settings" argument, the command will be disabled.
>

> OK, thanks for the info. I'll have a look at the documentation as it's
> not clear to me why one would only want one project.

It's not trying to limit you to just one project.   It's just trying to
prevent confusion by not letting you create and attempt to work with a new
project when you're running in an environment already set up to manage a
different project.  In those cases, simply unset the DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE
environment variable, then issue the startproject command.

Karen