I wanted to do the same. I decided not to user GIS because of all the new
stuff I needed to install. Two Coordinates are good enough for the google
maps api.
I plan on using geopy (http://exogen.case.edu/projects/geopy/) for
translating addresses to coordinates.

I also found these articles that should help you in the right direction:
http://www.developer.com/java/web/article.php/10935_3528381
http://ajaxian.com/archives/geocoding-with-googles-maps-api
http://www.instantdjango.com/chapter1.html

Good luck, and please backpost when you build a cool app!

TiNo