Thanks Daniel.  I've found solutions similar to yours in other threads
on the net, and everytime I test them, I literally get no form at all
in my rendered template.
My template appears to have all the correct code in it as you can see
in the link "search.html" at the bottom of this post.
Looking at the code you provided, it seems like the
"queryset=Vehicle.objects.order_by('-year').distinct()" pulls all
distinct fields from the Vehicle table and sorts them by year.  What
I'm actually after is a way to filter out only the years and list them
in descending order.

In my forms.py file, I've kept all variations of the code I've tested
for this app commented out for my own reference, but maybe it will
help you see what's happening and what I'm trying to do.

Here's all of my code in dpaste: