I'm starting work on a site for an academic journal that will both
publish the articles from the paper version and also allow authors to
submit new articles for review and publication. Looking for specific
advice as well as general experience with this kind of site.

Question 1
The articles' text has been traditionally submitted in .doc format,
but I'm planning on changing it to RTF, for simplicity and openness'
sake. How hard would it be to read these RTF files' contents into the
database so the articles can be displayed on the site? The files will
have minimal formatting, just Bold and Italic. Have you done this in
Django, and if so, how?

Question 2
There's a some fairly basic functionality that I'm sure could be done
via 3rd party apps such as:

1) Letting authors create accounts, confirm them via email.
2) Workflow (submission -> initial review -> peer review ->
corrections -> final approval -> publication).

I would appreciate recommendations for 3rd party applications or your
experience with these topics, as well as any general experience /
advice from similar projects.