On Sep 25, 12:52 am, "Scott Moonen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm running a single instance of Apache to serve two IP addresses.  One IP
> address has specific hostnames assigned in several VirtualHosts, and a
> Location statement for certain hostnames to be handled by a mod_python
> instance running a Django application.  The other IP address has a
> wildcarded ServerAlias, and DNS is setup so that any hostname not
> specifically assigned to the first IP address is directed to this second IP
> address.  For this second IP address I have a VirtualHost that also uses a
> mod_python instance running a different Django application.
>
> I see on this thread
> <http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_thread/thread/4f0c...>
> from last year that there is suspicion that Apache can at times misdirect
> mod_python requests to the wrong mod_python instance.  And this is what I'm
> experiencing from time to time.  It's a bit strange, though: 1) normal file
> content on these same virtual hosts outside of my mod_python <Location>
> statement seems to load fine, so Apache seems to be confused only when
> directing requests to mod_python; 2) this is intermittent, as several
> requests in a row may go to the wrong handler while a subsequent request may
> go to the proper handler; 3) I have taken care to force a specific ordering
> in my virtual host definitions, but this has not helped, although I kind of
> expected that given that the problem is intermittent; and 4) the wildcarded
> virtual host is in fact the only virtual host on my second IP address, and I
> have no other VirtualHosts for that IP address, so the fact that Apache
> seems to be misdirecting the mod_python handler to virtual hosts for an
> entirely different IP address is pretty disconcerting.
>
> I'm running Apache 2.2.3, mod_python 3.3.1, and the latest Django SVN.
> Because filesystem content loads fine, and because this problem is polluting
> VirtualHosts that don't even share the same IP address, it seems intuitive
> that the problem must be some weakness in Apache's internal scoping of
> Location statements to the VirtualHosts that they appear in.
>
> Is anyone else experiencing this problem?  Is anyone aware of any fixes?
> Based on my guess that the problem is Apache's internal scoping of Location
> directives, I'm tempted to switch from mod_python to mod_fastcgi.  But I'd
> rather stick with the recommended mod_python deployment method if there's a
> known way of getting things working,

The one time where a concrete reason was found for this occurring for
a specific person, it was found to be the lack of the NameVirtualHost
directive in Apache configuration. Other than that, yes there is some
suspicion of wildcarding in ServerAlias causing a problem for
mod_python in some instances.

The same problem hasn't been seen with mod_wsgi at this point. So, if
stuck try it as someone else suggested.

Graham