On Sep 24, 4:34 pm, Graham Dumpleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> If however you have used in Apache configuration the ErrorDocument
> directive for 404 at some point, possibly by enabling multi language
> custom error documents, then when the 404 occurs, rather than
> returning an internally generated generic 404 error response, Apache,
> based on the value of the ErrorDocument directive may trigger a sub
> request to a handler to generate the custom error document.

We had a very similar problem with a wsgi setup on a cPanel machine.
cPanel defines the location of a bunch of Apache error documents
globally for all vhosts - error docs that don't exist in a Django
setup. The solution was to override those settings in the vhost
configuration for the site in question, like this:

ErrorDocument 401 "Authentication Error"
ErrorDocument 403 "Forbidden"

That way 401 and 403 return strings, rather than paths to non-existent
files, and the problem goes away.

Scot