On 26 sep, 16:00, Gerard Petersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Getting closer. This works: product.period_start_date.strftime('%d-%m-%Y')
>
> But I definitely do not want this in all view handlers. It should go in the
> model .. or the modelform.
>
> Thanx again!
>
> Gerard.
>
> Gerard Petersen wrote:
> > Hi all,
>
> > I'm trying to have a formfield filled with a correlctly formatted date
> > value.
>
> > Validation is already in place. It only accepts "dd-mm-yyyy" on submitting
> > but when it gets the existing value from the model it shows it in the
> > formfield like "yyyy-mm-dd"
>
> > So the sequence is almost complete. But where do I format the value so the
> > formfield shows the correct formatted value when editing. In the model, the
> > form or the view method?
>
> > Thanx a lot.
>
> > Gerard.
>
> --
> urls = { 'fun':  'www.zonderbroodje.nl',  'tech':  'www.gp-net.nl'}

Hi Gerard,

the DateTimeInput widget already accepts a format parameter.
What I do is I have a subclass of ModelForm that in its init goes over
the fields and replaces the widget for Datefields with a datetimeinput
with the correct format. I also change the input format their (I
prefer dd/mm/yyyy).

something like:

for field in self.fields:
    if isinstance(self.fields[field], forms.Datefield):
        self.fields[field].input_formats = settings.DATE_INPUT_FORMATS
        self.fields[field].widget = forms.DateTimeInput(format =
settings.DATE_OUTPUT_FORMAT)

as you can see, I put the formats in my settings file, but of course
you could just plug them right in here too.

I am not sure this is the best way to do this, but maybe this helps.

Koen