Having had a few problems with memory usage on my Django sites, I've
realised a problem with my current set up is that apache is serving
media files as well as doing all the mod_python django stuff.

The recommended solution I keep coming across is to serve media files
from a separate lightweight server, lighttpd seems to be favourite.
There are lots of different ideas though as to how to set it up, I'm
hoping someone will have advice on the best approach.

Possibilities seem to be:
1. passing media requests to lighttpd from apache
2. Passing non-media requests to apache from lighttpd
3. Running a proxy that decides whether to pass requests to lighttpd
or apache.

1. seems to be a dead-end as everything is still going through Apache,
but I'd appreciate any tips or advice from anyone who's tried a set up
like this.

Kip.