Sorry for the sloppy post, i was reposting an old ignored thread in my
frustrated rage.  The code i'm working with right now looks like:

from django.contrib import auth

def log(request):
  news_list = New.objects.all().order_by('-date')
  if request.method == 'POST':
    username = request.POST['username']
    password = request.POST['password']
    user = auth.authenticate(username=username, password=password)
    if user is not None:
          if user.is_active:
            auth.login(request, user)
          return HttpResponseRedirect('/')
    else:
      return render_to_response('registration.html', locals())

I'm trying to keep it very simple for the sake of debugging.  I still
have no clue as to why this won't work.