After some conversation on irc, it appears that you can only validate
Django objects by using Django forms.

I do find that odd but I won't get into that conversation at the
moment.

Instead let me describe my problem to the world and see if anybody has
any suggestions.

I have a number of applications which are 50% web frontend and 50%
python backend. Historically the frontends have been either zope or
Ruby on Rails. Historically the two sides have communicated using
xmlrpc. That's fine for small pieces of data but we doesn't scale
particularly well. I'll outline one issue.

We have, in the python backend, logic for scanning. Users have
scanners. When all 20 parts on a stillage are scanned, that stillage
is closed. When all four stillages on a stillage cycle are scanned,
that stillage cycle is closed. There are special rules for allowing
rescanning etc and that all sits within the python/twisted code. If
the scanners go down we have to use frontends to do the same thing. So
now they're clicking on parts and completing stillages. etc. etc. It's
the same rules but this time they're inputting through the web
frontend, not over scanners going into a ip socket. I want that logic
in ONE place.

My plan was to use the Django ORM to handle this but now I have to
cope with the fact that (for example) although Django has been told
the input can't be more than 5 chars for a certain input, it will only
use that logic if I am using the models with the Django frontend. So
on the backend I've got to sanitise the data before tyring to write it
and that's just duplication.

Why am I using Django? Because 90% of the web stuff is provided by the
admin site in Django and it does a damn fine job. But should I
consider moving elsewhere?

Am I barking up the wrong tree completely?

Ian