On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:54 AM, Rit Lim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> which one is the Django community moving toward to, mercurial or git?
> if Django is to be moved...

Several of the core developers are already using distributed version
control systems to manage their activities. Git, for example, has very
good SVN integration, and it is possible to work on a daily basis with
a Git repository but make public commits to an SVN repository. I
believe Mercurial has similar tools.

However, there are no plans in place to migrate the official Django
repository to any distributed version control system. The very nature
of an 'official' repository dictates that there must be a single
canonical checkout; SVN already provides this facility. The very fact
that you are have to ask "which DVCS system should I use" also points
to a problem - without a clear winner, any decision will inevitably
shut out a portion of the community. For all its problems, SVN remains
a reliable lingua franca.

Please note: This is not an invitation to try and convince the core
developers to change our mind. The core developers are well aware of
the benefits and limitations of distributed version control, we have
considered the options, we have made our decision for the moment, and
we're not looking for community feedback on the decision.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)