Hi everybody.

In my admin page I have a field for a foreign key with hundreds of
items. That results in a drop down menu which is very difficult and
annoying to use.

This is my models.py:

class Prod2(models.Model):
    name = models.CharField(max_length=30)

class Prod1(models.Model):
    name = models.CharField(max_length=30)
    belongs_to = models.ForeignKey(Prod2)

class Prod0(models.Model):
    name = models.CharField(max_length=30)
    belongs_to = models.ForeignKey(Prod2)
    price = models.DecimalField(max_digits=10, decimal_places=2)
    #...some more details...

class Purchase(models.Model):
    product = models.ForeignKey(Prod0)
    amount = models.DecimalField(max_digits=10, decimal_places=2)
    #...some more details...

My drop-down-menu-excessive-lenght problem arises when you want to
create a new Purchase item via the admin page.

As you can see my products are organized in a hyerarchy, Prod0 being
the real products and Prod1 and Prod2 groups and super-groups of
products, respectively.

I wonder which is the best way to have a nice, friendly drop down
menu, possibly taking advantage of the product hyerarchy (with some
kind of multi level structure...).

Is there a way to customize the admin page without having to write the
whole page from scratch? Shall I have to add some Javascript?

Any tips will be really appreciated. Links to code, docs and whatever
are welcome.

All the best,

--
Fabio Natali