I was looking at someone else's code and saw the following code:

try:
     object.photo._require_file()
except ValueError:
      #handle exception

Where object is a model instance and photo is an ImageField attribute.
Can someone tell me what _require_file() does?

Here is the definition of it in django/db/models/fields/files.py
class FieldFile(File):
   def _require_file(self):
        if not self:
            raise ValueError("The '%s' attribute has no file
associated with it." % self.field.name)

But I just don't know what this does or is suppose to. The way I read
it, if self is None, raise ValueError() which calls self.field.name
which would be invalid since self is None. Also, since calling this
method is done through a FieldFile object (or ImageFieldFile in this
case), it can't be None.

I am sure I am missing some strange tricky bit of Python classes and
objects, but I can't find anything on this.

Thanks,
John