Hi there,

I am still pretty new to django and just trying to figure out how it
is all supposed to work.

I have the following models:

*models.py:

class Char(models.Model):
    char = models.CharField(max_length=10)
    variants = models.ManyToManyField("self", symmetrical=False,
through="Variant", related_name="varchars", blank=True, null=True)

class Variant(models.Model):
     char = models.ForeignKey(Char)
     variant = models.ForeignKey(Char, related_name="vars")

*admin.py:

class CharVarInline(admin.StackedInline):
      model = Variant
      fk_name = "char"
      raw_id_fields=("variant", "char",)
      extra = 1

class CharAdmin(admin.ModelAdmin):
    inlines = (CharVarInline,)

This causes the variants part to be displayed with a char record in
admin.  I also get a check-box there, which can be checked to delete
the inlined related recorded.   However, when I try to used this to
delete the record and click save, the following error occurs:

ValueError at /admin/chardb/char/70524/

'Variant' instance needs to have a primary key value before a many-to-
many relationship can be used.

Apparently, something is going wrong with the deletion, which lets
part of the record hang in empty air.  But I have no idea where to
look or how to fix this.  Does anybody has any idea?

Any help appreciated,

Chris