On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 10:52 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've having a problem with FileField and ImageField. Basically, I have
> a form for uploading images:
>
> Name: _a_  (throws ValidationError('This name is already taken. Choose
> another'))
> Notes: _test notes_
> Filename:  _abc123.txt_
>
> When I press SUBMIT, I get the form again, but it looks like this:
>
> -This name is already taken. Choose another
> Name: _a_
> Notes: _test notes_
> Filename:  _________ (blank???? Not sure why)
>
> The FileField is not repopulated for some reason, but the other fields
> are.

I believe this is a browser security measure.  The browser won't allow a
server to pre-load a value into a File input, because that would mean a
naive user could easily submit a form which uploads some key file from their
machine to the server.  So for a File input the browser requires that the
user actually go and select a file to upload.  (I do not know if there are
any tricks one can play to get around this, I've never looked for one.)

Karen