On Sat, Nov 1, 2008 at 12:51 AM, Xian Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I want to know whether Django support alerting the tables automatically
> while I modify the models or not.
>
> Suppose the website has run a long time and stored lots of data. In this
> case, the administrator wants to modify the model to add/remove some
> properties. Does the corresponding tables in the database will be alerted
> automatically?
>
> If not, how can make it happen? The administrator has no knowledge about
> SQL language. So, the administrator cannot run ALERT/DROP TABLE ...

(First just to clarify -- the word you want here is ALTER, not ALERT.  I was
a little confused reading your message until I realized that.)

There's nothing built into Django that does this. There are, however, at
least three external projects that offer this kind of thing:

http://code.google.com/p/django-evolution/
http://code.google.com/p/dmigrations/
http://south.aeracode.org/wiki

You might want to check them out.  Also if you search the list for terms
like 'schema evolution' or 'schema migration' you may find useful past
discussions on this topic.

Karen