I have never used model inheritance, but I read the documentation....

If all worker classes (cook, waiter, ...) are subclassed from Worker,
something like this should work: Worker.objects.filter(workplace=...)

(Given that workers only work for one workplace)

HTH,
  Thomas

--
Thomas Guettler, http://www.thomas-guettler.de/