On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 7:13 PM, dash86no <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm a little confused, and would appreciate it if somebody could point
> me to the current  "authoritative" tutorials, so I can begin to  get
> back on the right path here.

Yes, the book is out of  date, published several months before Django 1.0
was released.  The way in which admin specifications are done is entirely
different now.  The live documentation that gets updated when code changes
is here:

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/

Note the vast changes Django underwent from 0.96 to 1.0 will not continue
from 1.0 to 1.1, etc.  One big promise of 1.0 is backwards compatibility,
see:

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/misc/api-stability/

Karen