I've implemented a search function which brings up a list of database
items on a page. My template looks like this:

{% extends "base.html" %}

{% block content %}

    {% if results %}
      <ul>
      {% for quote in results %}
        <li>{{ quote|escape }}</l1>
      {% endfor %}
      </ul>
    {% else %}
    {% endif %}
{% endblock %}

My search code is like this:

def search(request):
    query = request.GET.get('q', '')
    if query:
        qset = (
            Q(name__icontains=query) |
            Q(company__name__icontains=query) |
            Q(note__icontains=query)

        )
        #results = Quote.objects.filter(qset).distinct()
        results = Quote.objects.filter(qset)
    else:
        results = []

    return render_to_response("sam_app/search.html", {
        "results": results,
        "query": query
    })

The problem, is that the outputted list is just static text. What I
want, is a series of links that when I click one one of them, will
bring up the relevant item in a form for editing.

I found this:
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/forms/#topics-forms-index

And saw the form.as_p form.as_table form.as_ul and got exited because
I thought this might work. I edited the above code to make the search
function pass a form object to the template, but then I got the error:
Caught an exception while rendering: too many values to unpack.

So I guess this isn't it?

I know I could just put together a loop to generate links with the pk
encoded inside the url, and do it like that, but it seems to me there
should be a neat little method in django to do this automatically. It
also though generic views might be the answer but I don't think you
can customize those, right?

Cheers,