The last days I did my first i18n application and befor I read this:
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/topics/i18n/
{{{
Application message files are a bit complicated to discover -- they need
the LocaleMiddleware.
If you don't use the middleware, only the Django message files and
project message files will be processed.

}}}

I don't know if it is really need. But the documentation says so. Or I
read it to quickly and overlooked

something.

  Thomas

--