> I reran my tests with the latest version of Apache on my 8.10 test
> machine.  I am no longer getting the Segfaults with either worker or
> prefork.  I am now getting an Invalid SRS type "wkt" error (that I
> assume you are now running into).

Yup that's the error I got: http://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/9694.
I've also got a patch on there that fixes the SRS exception on 8.10 --
I have a vague notion as to why it works, but no definitive answer.
My only guess as to your non-reproducible segfault is that worker was
being used when you thought you had prefork going.

-Justin