Another +1 for decorators.  In fact, the example David S uses
authentication and logins as an example of what he wants to do and its
already handled as a decorator thus giving him a decent pattern to
follow.  David S, I'd suggest you look up the @login_required
decorator and even look through the Django code to see how it's
implemented.  Don't be afraid of cruising through the code.  As good
as the documentation is, the code is also well organized and uses a
lot of good pythonic idioms if you're new to the language.

Jon.