Hi,

I'd like to have a sliced query set in random order.

I tried

coupon_items = Item.objects.order_by('?')[:25]

,it seemed to work first but than I noticed that coupon_items consists
of doubled items (although all Item objects are distinct).

coupon_items = Item.objects.all()[:25].order_by('?')

doesn't work because you can't reorder a queryset once a slice has
been taken.

coupon_items = Item.objects.all()[:25]
random.shuffle(coupon_items)

doesn't word because a QuerySet object does not support item
assignment, which is used by random.shuffle.

The problem was also adressed by this thread
http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_thread/thread/1364d04127caff99
but I didn't get the answer...

Regards,
Benjamin