All the python frameworks seem to do this: one web-server for
development, another for production. There may be a good reason for
this, but I don't see it.

If you are doing internet development, then you certainly have a
network. So why not develop on one box, and then move the files to
another?

For example, this is what I do with php: I mirror my web-site on my
development box. When the files on my development box work the way I
want, I just ftp those files to the web-site. I find this method much
more simple, fast, and robust, than trying to juggle two web-servers
on the same box.

Also, why is it that with Django I have to restart the web-server, or
touch all files, any time I make any change?