Thank you for the detailed response, Malcolm. I wasn't aware of the
complexities of the issue and understand better now why it is the way
it is. It was something that was really bugging me, but I feel like I
can let it go now :)

I'm not skilled enough in Python to take a crack at solving the
problem myself. Although I'd prefer my HTML source output to look
good, I'll take readability of template code (and performance) over
rendered output prettiness.

Thanks again.