I apologize if this question has been asked/answered here before, but
I searched around and couldn't find anything.

We're working on a django app in which we're porting some existing
user data over....we have about 100,000 user records that are being
imported. We have many other models that are linked back to User in a
one-to-many association.

The problem we're experiencing is with the admin. When we're
displaying the admin edit form for a model that's related to User, it
ends up with a drop down allowing you to change which user is
associated with the object. The problem is that 100,000 user records
end up appearing in this drop down!

Is there a different widget that can be used in the case where an
object is related to another with a really large number of records?

Or are we doing something wrong that I'm overlooking? I feel like this
must have come up for many people and I must be missing something
that's super obvious to everyone else.

Any advice or guidance you guys can provide is very much appreciated.
Many thanks!