My experience with rails was fantastic.
I thought there wouldn't be anything that could replace it.
but eventually, as you get to know the inner workings and the
limitations and the issues it has, you stop and think for a moment and
look for solutions/alternatives.
That was what happened to me.
I switched to django first mainly because of the admin interface. I
didn't know python then and I thought ruby was a better language for
me (i still think it is). BUT... rails tried so hard to drive me away.
With every new release you have issues with backwards-compatibility
and changes in the api. Deploying a rails app wasn't fun either. There
was no timeline/planned releases with features clearly known like
django had.
I really miss the named routes though, I know django has this too, but
with rails it's so simple that you have to love it.
and about the "django is for engineers, rails for hackers" comments, I
kind of agree.