It can be done using extra as shown here:
http://barryp.org/blog/entries/postgresql-full-text-search-django/
there isn't a way built into django
to do it however, there are also a few external search projects to
create a nicer search api in django.  This one:
http://code.google.com/p/djangosearch/
specifically was worked on as a part of the google summer of code and
perhaps you could speak with them about a pg backend if they don't
have one already.

Alex