I'd like to use the test client to verify that when there's an error
in a form field, the input field in the
response is populated with the original input.

So I'd like to do something like:

iteration = 'bad data'
response = self.client.post('/metrics/add/', {
                'iteration' : iteration,
               ... }
self.failUnlessEqual(response.context[0]['form'].fields
['iteration'].value), 'bad data')

Would be great to know where I can fish this from (the last line in
the above snippet is just for illustration of how I would hope to
access the value)

Django version is 1.0, the form is a ModelForm in case it matters.

Cheers