On 19 déc, 00:13, "Mr. T" <ted.peder...@gmail.com> wrote:
> response = serializers.serialize('xml', MySet.objects.all())
> return HttpResponse(response , mimetype='text/xml;')
>
> The output has each member of "MySet" with an <object> tag, and then
> within the object, a bunch of <field> tags with each field.

Looks like a sensible schema....

<object pk="1" model="profiles.profile">
   <field to="auth.user" name="user" rel="ManyToOneRel">1</field>
   <field type="PositiveSmallIntegerField" name="gender">1</field>
   <field type="DateField" name="birth_date">1967-01-05</field>
   <field type="CharField" name="zip">33640</field>
   <field type="CharField" name="city">Castres-Gironde</field>
   <field type="FileField" name="mugshot">mugshots/bigb.jpeg</field>
</object>

> It seems
> sort of hard to parse this on the client side.

If the "client-side" is javascript code in a browser, use json instead
- you'll save quite a lot on both bandwidth and processing.

Else, I assume the client code is written in a language with decent
XML parsing support, and then I just don't see what's your problem
parsing such a simple and obvious schema.

> Can anyone help how to parse out a field,

Err... type and name are attributes, content is content ? What's your
problem exactly ???

> or to have the XML
> serializer just output something simpler?

Sorry but I fail to see what could be simpler.